Today is my twenty second birthday. While I am most likely going to be saying this every birthday for the rest of my life, it’s hard for me to believe another year has already gone by. Twenty one treated me pretty well, and I’m looking forward to seeing what 22 has in store for me.
I wrote one of these posts last year. I can remember exactly where I was, and what I was doing when I wrote that post. It’s funny to think back and realize how I have grown and how so many things have changed over a single year. Posts like these are my favorite to read, so I’ve deemed it tradition to write one each year for my birthday. Maybe you won’t agree with all of them, so consider them more of reminders to myself.
1. Money spent on travel will never be wasted. Some say travel is overrated, but this gypsy soul strongly disagrees.
2. Be yourself. Especially when you are making new friends. Just be you.
3. Happiness is a choice. A choice only you can make for yourself. Don’t let others determine your happiness.
4. You don’t have to drink to have a good time.
5. Naps are underrated – they aren’t a waste of time. Sometimes you just have to sleep it off.
6. Do something you love for a living. Life’s too short to hate your job. Work hard to get that job you love. Nothing is going to be handed to you.
7. That thing you dreamt about since you were a kid, yet thought it would never ever happen? It can totally happen. Keep on dreaming, kids.
8. Boys are dumb. Plain and simple. You’ll find a good one, someday.
9. Always put the thing you are least looking forward to doing at the top of your to-do list.
10. Ignoring people when you are angry with them is not a productive way to work through it. Talk it out.
11. It’s okay to choose sleep over going out sometimes. I cannot stress enough how important sleep becomes.
12. Life is all about balance – try to find it. Yet realize everything is not going to balance out perfectly.
13. It’s good to try new things. Challenge yourself.
14. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Give yourself a break.
15. Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion, but respect the fact that others are also entitled to their own opinions.
16. You can never go wrong with a night of watching Friends on the couch with your best friend. Sometimes it’s all you need.
17. Stand up for what you believe in – even if it’s not what everyone around you believes in.
18. Take vitamin D in the winter, unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere the sun shines all year round.
19. Never put kale in a smoothie, unless you enjoy the taste of dirty garbage. Just my personal recommendation.
20. Be kind to yourself. Hating on yourself gets you nowhere, so you might as well not waste the time!
21. It’s okay to act like a kid every now and then. Work hard, play hard.
Here’s to being happy, free, confused, and lonely. All at the same time.
( sorry, I had to. )