I’ve decided to do another Thinking Out Loud Thursday! I like the freedom of being able to write randomly about whatever is popping into my head at the moment, and I’m having kind of a tough time thinking of anything to blog about this week, so here is a little look into what is going on inside my head at the moment.
1. I’m making it my own personal goal to stop complaining about winter. Everyone knows it snowing, cold, and all around dreary without my adding to the noise, right? Plus, I find being negative about the weather affects my attitude about other things going on in my day. Therefore, I have made extra effort to be happy this week, despite the frostbite. 🙂
2. It was my best friend’s birthday on Tuesday! It was an absolutely gorgeous day, the sun was shining, and it was chilly but not freezing. I took the day off of work, and we went for a walk around downtown and got fancy coffee. It’s funny how I work on Main St. in my town, but it’s been forever since I walked down the full length of the street, and down along the wharf.
Then we went back to my house for supper & baked a pumpkin tofu cheesecake. Sounds disgusting, I know. It was surprisingly delicious, definitely exceeded my expectations. I had ordered her birthday present online, and of course I waited till the absolute last minute, so it hasn’t come yet 😦 I’m the world’s best procrastinator.
3. It’s going to be harder than I thought to get back into the school routine. Classes “started” on Saturday, but I’ve probably only spent about 6 hours so far, and I’ve only worked on 1/4 of my classes. The way my distance classes work are that you have 6 months to complete the schoolwork, and you get to do it at your own pace. It’s great, but takes a lot of self-discipline. I haven’t quite broken my evening Netflix habit yet… maybe next week?
4. I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my wrists lately, so I have this elaborate routine of heat, stretching, and squeeze ball exercises I have to do multiple times a day. Thanks to my job, I have the wrists of an 80year old. I also have had low back pain for a couple days. I feel really old this week.
5. I have had the WORST shin splints since Sunday afternoon. I know they are from my longer run on Saturday, and the fact that I hadn’t run outside on the uneven ground in so long, but damn. I’ve been foam rolling, icing/heat, and self massaging the muscles to the best of my ability but I desperately need a real massage. I ran on Tuesday morning and my legs felt so dead. Or maybe I just wasn’t awake yet? I just felt funny the whole run. I did it, however, so I’m happy with that. I probably won’t be running again until Saturday, just cross training, to give my legs a chance to chill out.
6. I watched Dallas Buyer’s Club on Monday night and it was SO GOOD. Once you get past the terrifyingly skinny looks of Matthew McConaughey, it’s golden. Jared Leto was also acted his ass off. I’m trying to get through all the Best Picture Oscar nominees before the awards, so I think I’m going to try Her next. Has anyone seen it? From what I’ve heard it’s very different, but still excellent!
7. More running talk – I am debating whether or not I want to get a Garmin. I’d really like to be able to accurately track everything, but they are more expensive than I thought. Any recommendations? Or good iphone apps? I might just end up buying a arm band for my phone if I can’t drop $150 on a Garmin right yet.
8. One last thing about running – every single time I finish I run I crave doughnuts. Is that weird? I don’t even remember the last time I had a doughnut, but they cross my mind a lot when I’m stretching/foam rolling. You’re welcome for that super interesting fact about me 😉
I hate how throughout the day things cross my mind and I think ” oh, I should blog about that”, and then when it comes time to write a post, I struggle to come up with anything. Hence this rather uninteresting post. Anyway, have a happy Thursday!
What foods do you crave after exercise?
Last movie you watched?