Did you catch the Golden Globes last night?!
If not, I got ya covered because I’m about to spend way too much time talking about my favorite dresses, moments, and jokes from last night’s show. If you did watch it, I bet you are riding the struggle bus with me this morning from staying up too late watching the show. Either way, grab some coffee and catch up with me!
First things first, let’s talk fashion. I’m not one for ” Worst Dressed Lists”, who needs the extra negativity? Wear what you want! Also, i’m no fashion expert, not even close. I don’t follow fashion trends, or shows, or read Vogue. Therefore, I’m going to post my favorites, which essentially means I’m going to choose my favorite actors, who could be wearing burlap sacks and I would still say they look amazing.
1. Olivia Wilde – I love this dress! I think she looks like a mermaid, in the best way. She makes pregnancy look glamorous, which isn’t easy. I think this might be my favorite look of the night. Hair, makeup, jewelery, dress, I love everything.
2. I like glittery things. A lot. I love this dress because I can imagine myself wearing a shorter version of it to a fancy NYE party or something like that . I also love her earrings. SO pretty!
3. Emilia Clark – Again, I like glittery things. I’m not sure what it is about this dress, but I love it. Also, I like the simple waves in her hair, and simple bracelets.
4. Lupita Nyong’o – Okay. This woman is SO STUNNING it is actually overwhelming. I’ve also admired women who can pull off super short hair. She’s just so simply beautiful, she doesn’t need the distractions of excessive jewellery, flashy dress, or long hair. Second favorite look of the night.
5. Tina Fey & Amy Poehler – Obviously, the hosts. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments about Tina’s dress, but I love it. I love them both. I hope I look like them in my 40s, after having multiple children, am I right? I loved all three dress changes these ladies had throughout the night. I think my favorite dresses were these :
They look like Christmas, in the best way possible.
6. Kate Beckinsale – Gorgeous. I especially love her hair and earrings! Glittery. Can you see a trend here? Oops.
7. Kaley Cuoco – LOVE this. I find flowers on a dress can be kind of iffy, but I love this. My friend who I was texting throughout the entire show said she looked like she rolled in mud, but I respectfully disagree.
8. Kerry Washington – aka the cutest pregnant woman alive. I could not get over her baby bump! The dress is ehhh, but Kerry always looks stunning, and was so lovely in her red carpet interviews, I had to include her here.
9. Rashida Jones – Okay, so I know she literally has palm trees on her dress…but I like it? Rashida is another one of those naturally beautiful people, and I think one of the very few people who could ever dream of pulling off this dress. I also like her top knot.
10. Jennifer Lawrence – I only included a photo of her top half, because I SO wanted to love this dress, but I just couldn’t get 100% on board with the bottom. But her makeup, hair and earrings?! Amazing.
I didn’t include any men because I honestly think all tuxedos look the same. But my favorite men from last night were Chris Pine, Bradley Cooper, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Fallon, and Chris Pratt.
Alright, moving on to the actual ceremony. Specifically, the opening monologue.
I was kind of worried this year’s monologue wouldn’t live up to the hilariously genius monologue of last year :
I was worrying for nothing, because those ladies killed it. Seriously. Proof?
My personal favorites include the camera cutting to JLaw as Amy Poehler, Julia Louis-Dreyfus smoking an E-Cigarette with the film side of the room,Tam Honks (despite the fact Tom Hanks was seemingly unamused), and the George Clooney/ Gravity joke.
In last year’s show, I found that besides the opening monologue, Amy and Tina were barely onstage at all. I was super happy this year, as they introduced more presenters and did a couple bits. The best bit was by far the Randy Fey bit.
They also introduced Seth Meyers & Julie Bowen as presenters, among others. My personal fave? Introducing Leo :
Speaking of presenters, let’s take a minute to appreciate Emma Thompson. I have recently discovered how truly amazing Emma Thompson is, and she further proved how amazing she is last night.
She walks out on stage, martini and Louboutins in hand. She was sassy, and wonderful. And she then proceeded to throw her Louboutins, after explaining how the red soles were her blood. Queen.
Another wonderful moment was Seth Meyers presenting Andy Samberg with his best actor in a comedy series award :
Jennifer Lawrence won the first award of the night, and was hilariously adorable as usual. She was so nervous and shaky, you would’ve thought she was being held at gunpoint and forced to accept the award. Breaking Bad (deservedly) swept the drama category. Brooklyn 99 surprised everyone and beat Girls and Modern Family (finally) for best comedy. Amy Adams beat Meryl Streep for best actress. LEO DICAPRIO FINALLY WON A DAMN AWARD. 12 Years A Slave won best drama, and Matthew McConaughy somehow pulled off a best actor award. These are the ones that stand out most strongly in my mind, because after awhile everything all blurs together.
However, my absolute favorite moment of the night was Amy Poehler finally taking home the Best Actress in a Comedy award. Girl has been nominated 5 years in a row and never won, until last night. She gave a beautiful speech, and was obviously completely surprised, humbled, and overwhelmed by the award. Oh yeah, she also made out with Bono.
And then Tina Fey burned Taylor Swift again, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus ate a hotdog, like a lady.
And that, my friends, is my lengthy recap of the 2014 Golden Globes. I just spent WAY more time than I probably should have putting together this post, but it was SO FUN. God, I love award show season. I’m going to leave you with Jennifer Lawrence, sneaking up on Taylor Swift, just for kicks.
Did you watch the awards? What were your favorite parts? Dresses? TELL ME ABOUT IT!